Thursday, November 09, 2006

Political Ranting - Yay Elections!

Well, as you can tell, I've been very excited about politics this time around. I was initially inspired to vote in Minnesota, instead of my home state of Iowa, by the seemingly evil anti-gay, anti-Catholic, saved-by-jesus candidate for the 6th District Seat in the House - Michele Bachmann. I knew I had to vote in Minnesota if only for the sake of making sure that she wouldn't win. If you're not sure who I'm talking about, the blog - dumpbachmann.blogspot.com did a fantastic job promoting awareness of Bachmann's conservative narrow mindedness.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been telling myself and all of my friends that central Minnesota wouldn't elect someone like Bachmann. I kept saying "Catholics and Lutherans don't like to hear about someone 'accepting Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and savior.'" I guess I haven't been in Minnesota long enough to really understand how such a nasty person could slip under the radar of sensible Minnesotans.

To add a bit of bitterness to the sweet taste of our victory (and it is sweet, wasn't it?), Bush dumped Rumsfeld the day after the election. This is only a reminder of how calculated and deceptive every move the Republicans make can be. Knowing the number one issue was "the war", they campaigned on their pro-war agenda, even though it was failing, because they couldn't handle admitting that they were wrong. They had to hang on to Rumsfeld because it would look bad to drop him during the campaign period, and meanwhile Iraqis and soldiers are dying every day.

The Bush Administration's inability to admit fault is probably what cost the Republican's congress. These are people campaigning on Christian morals? I would have enjoyed seeing Bachmann's competition - Patty Wetterling - sling Christian morals back at her - what about the dignity and beauty of every individual person. Bachmann says, "Don't get me wrong, I love homosexuals" and then writes a marriage amendment and parades around the MN statehouse with ex-gays. Really Christian. Hooray for Christian families. Hooray for Christian Heroes - like Rev. Haggard.

Good. Republicans are falling like Christmas trees.
I like that. I hope the we can find a way to maintain power this time.