Friday, February 16, 2007

On the Lake at Saint John's

So we went out to Saint John's with the intent of walking across the lake to a small chapel that the monks had placed there in an odd fit of monastic whim.

It was a rather overcast day

Here is Flopper pointing the way ( very helpfully might; I add it's easy to get lost in the middle of a frozen lake)

And Here is the Chapel. It is distressingly picturesque.

I really like taking pictures of trees in winter. There were a few on a small island on the other side of the lake so Flopper and I wandered in that direction.


I am not certain what sort of tree this is but I loved the curve of the trunk. It's a pine of some sort not found in the woods of Pennsylvania.

And here are some shots of driftwood jutting out of the ice near the Island .

Finally these are two shots of the monastary church which I rather enjoy for a building constructed like a very pretty nuclear bunker. The honeycomb window is really quite striking The dark middles space is the balcony seating/ choir loft and probably accounts for a third of the total seating in the church.

~Eikon