Friday, June 29, 2007

Behold the Jam



Behold the Jam that Riseth in the East! .... I don't know there have been more ridiculous attempts at spirituality. Above is pictured a bottle of strawberry syrup and I must say I do love the color of strawberry syrup.


I made 12 half pint jars (the cutest size ever) of strawberry jam.

First I had to cut the tops off 12 cups of strawberries.

Then i mashed them in my Baba's bowl (you've got to love the indestructible 60's Corell). My pastry cutter serves many functions in the kitchen.

Then you bring everything to a boil on the stove. I forgot to add the pectin until after things were heated up and don't know how much of an impact that will have.

The jam bubbles and froths; hence the apron.

I accidentally took a picture in mid bubble.

The syrup was made by boiling the strawberries for about twenty minutes straining out the fruit and then adding a ton of sugar. I'll tell the recipients of the syrup to refrigerate it but my hunch is that the sugar content is so high it won't spoil. I made about 3 liters of it. Fruit syrups are a very eastern European sort of thing and the only ones you can buy in the US are imported from Poland. DC people can go to Literri's and find it hidden in a corner by the olives.


Finally after 2 hours picking and 2 hours of preparation my first attempt at jam and canning are completed. I'll construct a small chapel to it later this evening. :)

~Eikon