Friday, June 29, 2007

Strawberries!



As a child in the Appalachians of Pa you are require to go pick berries in the summer. They are everywhere. Strawberries in the meadows, blueberries on the pole lines, thickets of blackberries and tiny little pink teaberries in the forest. Some of my happiest childhood memories are of picking berries.

So when Flopper texted me at ten saying a local strawberry place was open I rushed over there and started picking.
It took about two hours to pick two quarts ; we had a hot flash last week and the week before that caused the berries to ripen before they were very large , but they are so very tasty. So this evening after cleaning up the house we are going to be making preserves and I'm certain to take many pictures and post about it. Tomorrow I think I'll make a colonial shortcake and may post the instructions for that as well.


Hugs,

~Eikon