Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Stop and Look



This is going to be one of those corny posts, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Professionals, i.e. doctors, therapists, are always telling people they need to slow down. I think it's true, that slowing one's pace in life can lead to greater happiness. But how- - what do we do?

I've come to realize, especially since knowing Eikon, that you have to stretch out your life by stopping- stopping dead in your tracks. Today I was driving by a bird sanctuary near St. John's and I saw an awe inspiring blue heron swooping over the lake, only feet away from the water. I pulled over, put the car in park, and watched him. There isn't enough beauty like this in my life, and it dissapears if I don't give it the attention that it needs to thrive in my mind and personality.

Why not stop? Last night the weather was beautiful. Black clouds swirled in the air and the peach sunset was on the horizon. After our walk, I made Eikon lie down on the cement next to me and look up into the clouds. Whoever made our world, made it so gloriously perfect. We should stop, forget everything that we need to do, everything that we're late for, and absorb the perfection.
Flops